Miyerkules, Oktubre 21, 2009

snack time!

The other day, I used a spoon that had some cheese spread on it to slice out a small portion of ube (purple yam). I was so surprised to discover that it tasted good. I almost ate the whole thing.

I call this the Cezurple!
So, I went online and researched how other snacks came to be..

A dinner guest at Moon Lake Lodge (Saratoga, NY) kept complaining about the fried potatoes. He sent them back several times, saying they were too thick and soggy. The chef, George Crum, got so fed up with him, he decided to slice the potatos so thin they couldn't even be eaten with a fork. His plan backfired-- the guest loved it. Soon, it became a regular item in the menu, under the name "Saratoga chips". Today, it is more popularly known as the potato chip.

Another interesting snack genesis is about how, in San Francisco 1905, a kid forgot that he had left some soda drink out on their porch. It was a cold night, so the drink froze to the stir stick. That day, Frank Epperson's Epsicle, now known as the Popsicle, was born.

I tried looking for the origins of some of my favorite Pinoy delicacies. I wasn't able to find any :(. A lot of them seem to have come from other countries. The Chinese gave us siomai and siopao, as well as the balut. Empanada came from the Spaniards. But what about Halo-halo? Kropek? Otap? Belekoy? Sinukmane? Sapin-sapin? Each province in the Philippines boasts of their locally made products yet there are no records of where these delicacies originated.

I'm still searching for a legit origin of a Pinoy delicacy. I know I'll find one soon, and I'll be writing about it here. For now, I'm happy discovering (and eating!) a different treat for every island I visit.

Sources:
http://www.ideafinder.com
http://www.wikipedia.org


1 komento: