Miyerkules, Nobyembre 11, 2009

can you tell me how to get


Growing up here in the Philippines, I was only able to watch my first Sesame Street episode when I was already, I think, fourteen or fifteen. Back then I was just getting into the pop culture of the 90s, the music (eraserheads), the books (sweet valley), movies (Steven Seagal and Van Damme, my father is a big fan! heheh) and the TV. There's another show though, a local tv program, that I still hold dear and is a very big part of my childhood -- Batibot. It's also a children's show and for its first year, it was co-produced with Children's Television Workshop. The show ran from 1984 to 1998. I miss it! Batibot is always a favorite topic whenever people reminisce about their past. I always expect one of them to imitate Kiko Matsing's voice.

The concept of both of these shows is simple yet incredibly effective. Personally, I learned a lot from them and I still remember the humor, as well as the lessons. Batibot made me appreciate the uniqueness and importance of Pinoy culture. The muppets in the show are like teachers-- and old friends that never grew up. It's also cool that there are muppets in other Sesame Street productions that teach something significant about our society. I only found out about them today. Maybe we should all be required to watch them? There are still a lot of things we need to learn.
* Kami: A bright yellow HIV-positive Muppet on "Takalani Sesame" in South Africa who teaches AIDS awareness

* Haneen: A playful orange and pink monster with a vibrant personality who teaches tolerance on "Sesame Stories," shown in Israel, Palestine, and Jordan

* Zeliboba: This multicolored Muppet, who always wears a neck tie, was inspired by the tree spirits of Russian folklore. In Russia, Zeliboba and his buddies on "Ulitsa Sezam" encourage optimism, nutrition and health.

* Pino: Another one of Big Bird's cousins, Pino, is a blue bird who lives on "Sesamstraat" in the Netherlands. His catch phrase is "echt waar" ("really?"), and he helps children with socio-emotional development.

* Businka, a bright pink Muppet from Russia who finds joy in everything

Sources:
List of characters from international versions of Sesame Street
How elmo works

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento