Lunes, Hunyo 14, 2010

flags

Last Saturday, June 12, was our country's Independence Day. I wasn't able to watch the festivities but there's one surprise I did enjoy: the free rides given to commuters by the MRT and LRT!

I had to go to several places that day so it was a big help to me. Everywhere I went they had the flag displayed. Interesting fact: Because of its design, only the Philippine flag, when raised upside down (red over blue stripe), can function as a distress signal or an indication that we're in a state of war.

Flags are fascinating. There's so much history and meaning behind them.  Take the flag of Mozambique, the only one in the world that features a modern weapon, an AK-47.It represents defense and vigilance, which is possibly a reflection of the 15-year civil war in the country that started in 1977 and ended in 1992.

The one flag that intrigues me is Nepal's. I read that the reason for its shape is because it symbolizes the Himalaya Mountains and a Pagoda-- put a mirror next to it and you'll see.

When I was in school, we celebrated United Nations Day by creating flags, one country per class, one flag per student. Afterwards, we displayed them outside the classroom. I remember wishing that we'd get Japan or Libya so it would be easy to make, just get a green art paper and that's it!  Now, I know that the reason behind the color green is Libya's devotion to Islam, which has green as its traditional color.

 Japan's red disc is the sun, a common Japanese symbol that started during the time of daimyos and samurais, and it is also believed that the imperial throne originated from Amaterasu, the sun goddess.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento