Biyernes, Agosto 21, 2009

the angel of death and the seven dwarves

Exactly a year ago, I read about Josef Mengele in the Boston website.  He was a doctor in Auschwitz who performed medical experiments on Jews.  I was intrigued by the topic, so I ran a search on it.  Just a few clicks and I ran into Mengele's dwarf family, the Ovitzes.



It was the picture that got me.  They're so charming.  So I got the book and read it immediately.  It's really good but I still wanted to learn more about the Holocaust.  One lunch break, I found myself about to cry in front of my workstation because of Jan Komski's drawings and descriptions of Auschwitz.

I am so thankful to be alive today.

And so lucky.  But not as lucky as Perla Ovitz.
... "Not long before she died, Perla reflected on her fate: 'We were the only family who entered a death camp and emerged from it together," she said. "If I ever question why I was born a dwarf, my answer must be that my handicap, my deformity, was God's way of keeping me alive.'"

2 komento:

  1. I was intrigued by what happened during the Holocaust when I first watched the movie, "Schindler's List". In the movie it wasn't shown that Germans also performed experiments on Jews... How sick that is!! I'm curious to read the book mentioned..

    TumugonBurahin