Lunes, Mayo 10, 2010

indelible

After standing in line for three long hours, in a narrow corridor with about fifty people squeezing in, I finally cast my vote.  The precinct cluster and number system was inefficient, people were confused and bitched nonstop, it was hot and humid.  We were like sardines in there.  I couldn't tell from whose pores the sweat came from.  I was so tempted to follow those people who got out and just left.

The only thing that kept me from complaining is the realization that there were others who had worse fate than me.  Some people woke up really early and they were still waiting in line.  Some were lining up for the third time because they didn't know which precinct they were supposed to be in.  Some volunteer teachers and students haven't eaten breakfast yet, and it was already 11 am.  The news showed three blind voters being transferred to the correct precinct.  There was a woman who didn't have any fingers, saying it's easier to vote now because all she had to do was to shade the oval.  A lot of senior citizens showed up despite the crowd just to vote.  Some voters, on their way to a precinct, even had a grenade thrown at them.  People crossed rivers and seas, walked for miles.  Some sent in reports to celebrity patrollers about vote buying and other illegal activities happening on their town.  Soldiers and journalists were deployed everywhere, and risked their lives for this election.  Really, why should I complain?  It's very good that precincts were packed and people cared.  We're not apathetic at all, almost everyone did their part.

I was talking to the person behind me and he was saying that we were choosing our leader for the next six years, so what's two or three hours of waiting in line?  We've waited for ten years for a new president.  So why leave now?  Why waste your vote?

It's our first time to have an automated election in our country, so I really didn't expect it to be flawless.  I'm glad I stayed and voted for somebody worthy of the position.  I don't know if he will win or not, but I just hope all goes well for everyone.  I'm proud I got to play a part in our country's history, and I did it right, however small my role was.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento